Wednesday, November 5, 2008

That ain't right!

No, it's Wainwright!

I love me some Rufus. I didn't really jump on the Rufus ride until he performed as the opening act for Tori Amos in 2001. I saw him four times that year on her tour and couldn't get over his voice. He had sass too and lots of fun stories. A few years ago, with Neko Case as his opening act (talk about ANOTHER great voice), I watched him put on an awesome show at the Charlottesville Pavilion. You've never seen Judy Garland until you've seen Rufus do Judy Garland...in heels...and tights...and lipstick...with dancing!

But, children, that's not the video/song I'm showing today. One of my favorite Rufus tunes is "Go or Go Ahead". It's just powerful. He gives the intro, which saves me from typing :)



Go or Go Ahead

Thank you for this bitter knowledge
Guardian angels who left me stranded
It was worth it, feeling abandoned
Makes one hardened but what has happened to love

You got me writing lyrics on postcards
Then in the evening looking at the stars
But the brightest of the planets is Mars
Then what has happened to love

So I will opt for the big white limo
Vanity fairgrounds and rebel angels
You can't be trusted with feathers so hollow
Your heaven's inventions, steel eyed vampires of love
You see over me, I'll never know
What you have shown to other eyes

Go or go ahead and surprise me
Say you've lead the way to a mirage
Go or go ahead and just try me

Nowhere's now here smelling of junipers
Fell off the hay bales,
I'm over the rainbows
But of Medusa kiss me and crucify
This unholy notion of the mythic power of love

Look in her eyes, look in her eyes
Forget about the ones that are crying
Look in her eyes, look in her eyes
Forget about the ones that are crying

Go or go ahead

1 comment:

Buzz Stephens said...

Please consider joining the Yahoo version of The Judy Garland Experience. Over there you will be able to listen to ultra rare and never released concert and night club recordings by Judy, as well as lost and alternate studio recordings, all of her radio and television work, phone calls, interviews, at home recordings, and more! The group also features the most extensive collection of Judy Garland photographs found on the web. The membership includes Garland family members, people who knew and worked with Judy, authors, historians, film makers, fans from all levels, and more! Apparently, the only one missing is you. Yahoo is is free and easy to join. Here is the direct link to The Judy Garland Experience, please come by and check it out:http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/